08 November 2007

OOP's (Only On Pohnpei)'s

Here are a few funny things that we've observed about Pohnpei...

  • Coconut oil used in diesel engines ($2.50 / gal coconut, $4.55 / gal diesel)
  • Moldy hair
  • Moldy hair treated using coconut oil
  • Neighbors castrate a pig 10 feet from bedroom window
  • Neighbors eat a female dog because of to many gentleman callers
  • World class Yellow fin tuna $1.35/lb, box of cherios $8
  • A dog that you feed for three months won't be pet and a different one follows you out of the jungle
  • A kid walking in the mud with no shoes on won't pet your dog because "he'll make me dirty!"
  • 11 flavors of spam available in the grocery stores
  • Canned tuna and mackerel is a big seller. (Ironic as it may have been caught right off the coast of Pohnpei, shipped to Japan for canning, shipped back here, then resold.)

We realize that these probably happen in other places as well but "Things that happen in Pohnpei as well as other places" isn't as catchy as "Only On Pohnpei".

2 comments:

Christy said...

First, I hate spam. Seriously. And I still think the moldy hair thing is disgusting and weird.

Christina said...

Your blog is really great. I love to read your stories and watch the pictures and videos. It looks like you are having a good time in Micronesia. But I have to agree with Christy - I hate spam and I like my hair not being moldy.
I am looking forward to your next post!