26 January 2010

Hobbies

Hello, I'm Captain Random. I don't have a lot of free time. What I do have is a lot of time in a car, commuting to work. During this time I think about the normal stuff (dinner, weekend plans, etc) but I also dream about what I should do with my free time or what my dream career would be. I call myself Capt. Random because these ideas come every day and they seem to be vastly different. I'll get home and tell Megan about them, convinced that that is how I will spend the next 3 or 12 months. The next day the process will start over again. I've been accused of having Adult ADD, an accusation I wear like a badge of honor. A few weeks ago I started writing them down as soon as I got to a computer.

Below are my ideas from the past few weeks:

Writing

Write story about kids who do white collar crimes on the playground. One example would be to view the cafeteria as the open market. Kids would trade their lunch items, Hostess for Little Debbie, Dinasour fruit snacks for Pudding etc. But one kid gets left out of the trade because his parents don't buy him packaged goodness. To remedy this he fabricates an idea that his Mom is going to bring in a large cake for his upcoming Birthday. Using this story he trades his cake futures for Snack Packs and Bite Size Snickers, screwing up the balance of the market, creating a bubble that explodes in his face.

Comedy about a guy who decides to run the local race that in the past four years has been won by Africans. The locals get really excited, he was a high school athelete. He finds out that he's not nearly fast enough so he takes tons of steriods. The steriods have serious/funny side effects (huge head, man boobs) and right before the race he finds out there will be random drug screening because of a few other races where runners were doping.

Write a comedy about a group of friends set in post-apocalyptic North America. There are a lot of movies about the end of the world but I want to see what happens after the dust settles and, I want it to be funny. The genre has been played enough that there should be some common themes. Kind of like Shawn of the Dead did for Zombies.

Write a story about a guy who gets revenge for someone killing his family. Learns how to steal, fake id, shoot gun, drive getaway car etc via Internet articles, some of which were written by the killers. I like a good revenge movie.

Computer


Learn WPF and make an interface kind of like Pivot, from Microsoft.

I think the next frontier for computing will be the car. I don't have the time or expertise to design a full system but I have a lot of ideas about what would make a good one. This idea boils down to buying a carputer design and marketing it. I really like Ford Sync.

Other

Fix up old Subaru Outback with turbo engine. Recently I worked on my car for quite a few hours and really enjoyed it. As we now have a child we need space so we can put a lot of junk in our trunk. I think you could have a pretty cool 1998 Outback with the power train from a car like mine.

Male Nurse. I think I would enjoy being a nurse, a doctor is too much school. I don't think I'd be good at being a female nurse.

Note: At one point I wanted to keep some of them secret so no one would "steal" them but now realize that if someone did I would be happy. This is because I actually want to read a story like the above ones mentioned.

No comments: