11 December 2007

The night that wouldn't end

Megan and I had been getting up pretty early maybe around 0530. I suppose this is due to the end of the semester and also we like to walk Oliver while it's still cool. So one recent evening I went to bed around 2030.We have been having mosquito problems in our house so before I went to bed I lit a mosquito coil. We usually talk about our day and drift to sleep around 2200 or so. This particular evening my night ended at around 0130. As usual the neighborhood dogs got pretty riled up due to a female. And the barking ensued. Usually this goes on for 10-15 minutes, which can seem like forever in the middle of the night, but this particular time it seemed to last quite a while. After 40 minutes of barking I went outside to scare off some dogs (I actually went out side with a big stick and a lot of anger to hurt some dogs). The dogs however weren't anywhere near our yard they were at the house behind us. I threw a few rocks hoping to break up the pack and retreated. I lay awake for another 30-40 minutes and then drifted back to sleep.

At around 0300 I heard an interesting noise. I wasn't sure what it was only that it probably needed my attention. Upon gaining my coherence I realized that Oliver was making a sound that indicated that he would soon vomit. I hustled to get him out of the house but I was too late.

Lights on. Put Oliver outside. Clean up vomit. Let Oliver in. Lights off. Stare at ceiling.

Once again I tried to regain my slumber.

The next incident occurred at around 0430. The mosquito coil only lasts for eight hours so I was awaken by a very loud buzzing in my ear. I dragged myself back to usefulness, turned on the fan and lay back down only to realize I had a half dozen mosquito bites on my back.

I usually sleep later than Megan and she does her best to let me sleep. She must have done so because I was awaken by a rooster at around 0630. After a little bit of yelling I went outside thinking that a chicken breakfast would be nice. The first thing I saw was the neighbors dog so I threw a rock at it. I then found the rooster and chucked a large rock at it. I missed. I'm going to look into getting a pellet gun.

2 comments:

Christy said...

I hate nights like that....

I'm sorry. I'm sure you'll get more sleep tonight. :)

Sharon said...

My goodness. You people certainly are busy during the night. Sorry you missed your chicken breakfast!