14 October 2007

Pohnpei is beautiful

This picture was taken yesterday. This is how it looked I didn't do any crazy photochopping to get these colors. Also notice that the body of water pictured is the ocean. It really is this beautiful...

...and another...


...but we really miss home.

Hello from the land of perpetual summer! As you may or may not know Megan and I keep in touch with our family with Skype.(if you use and want to talk to us we're usually on on Saturday between 0900-1300 our time ( good luck figuring out what time that is for you!)) If the person we are trying to contact has Skype this is free for us and them and if they have a webcam we also get to see them. If they don't have Skype it only costs us a few cents a minute (it is supposed to cost $.341/minute but there seems to be an error) so we have been very fortunate to be able to keep in contact with everybody. One popular topic as of late is the changing seasons. Currently it is really rainy in Oregon (why are you surprised mom and dad you've lived there 30 years!), unusually warm and now cold in PA, and becoming more tolerable in Riverside, CA. In Pohnpei it's the same. Really humid and uncomfortable for most of the day, every day, every season. The weather never changes. This is by far the hardest thing to deal with for me.

I love the people here. Their culture is rich and unique. I've talked to our neighbors and other locals for hours asking question after question. The pace of life is slow and forgiving. The traffic is very courteous to foreign cyclists. The food is very unique. We eat a little more fish then we'd like but also really enjoy it. Here is a picture of last Fridays dinner (thanks for the supplies Sachiko!)...


But alas the weather is unbearable. I am amazed at my inability to entertain myself during the heat of the day. I am a fairly active person and the weather has a tendency to sap the life out of me. This is especially evident on weekends when there no work to be done or AC'd office to be occupied. Being the person that I am, I am not content to sit inside and read a book all day.

I guess that'll be enough whining for today. But stay tuned for more there is weekend every 5 days!

I do enjoy anything that has to do with a boat. On Sunday Megan and I once again got to go out with our friend Dennis. We had a wonderful time swimming...


And exploring the mangrove forests...


It was a boatload of fun. You can't see but I'm actually smiling, even during the heat of the day...

4 comments:

Herm said...

The color in the ocean picture is really beautiful. I enjoy reading and looking at your blog.

Christy said...

Well, if I ever get around to it, I'll try out Skype. I might need help from Steve. Love the pics! :)

Drew said...

Congratulation on the new baby Christy!

Christy said...

More posts, please!